New York: Day 7

New York: Day 7

It was the day I had been dreading the most, the one I had been wishing wouldn’t come as soon as it did, it was my last day in New York City. The trip had been everything I expected and MORE, the only sad thing is that when you look forward to something for so long and when that moment, event or occasion does arrive, it goes in far too quickly. Do you ever feel like that with things you have been counting down for? Make-up less and as snug as a bug in our newly purchased New York ‘sweaters’ we were ready to savour every moment that we had left in this city before we headed back to our normal lives in the UK.

SARA BETH’S

We wanted one last delicious sit down breakfast, especially after the one we had at Clinton St. Baking Company a few days before, so it was time to put Instagram to good use again. Another Instagram find through the hashtag #nycfoodie was Sara Beth’s, and with many locations around the city to choose from we opted for the Central Park location as this was closest to our hotel and just a stone throw away from the park that stole my heart. As soon as we stepped in the door the place was BUSY, with plenty of families and friends waiting to be seated. Luckily for us a table for two had our name written all over it and was waiting for us as soon as we entered, and so we were seated straight away. This was the one time on the trip when I definitely didn’t feel dressed for the occasion seeing as I had my loungewear on ready for the dreaded flight home later on in the day. However, seeing as it was my last breakfast in America, I wanted to go all out and Sara Beth’s seemed the place to do just that. Bellinis all round then?

With savoury breakfasts being my usual go to, I decided today was the day to switch it up and order something sweet. I had heard great things about American pancakes and had been so excited to try them on the run up to the trip, so it made sense that I ordered the buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup and strawberries to put my expectations to the test. Have you ever watched the movie Matilda and sat drooling over the incredible pancakes she makes at the beginning of the movie? This was me when my plate landed on the table. These were the fluffiest, tastiest pancakes I had ever tucked in to and despite the struggle I refused to leave even a crumb on my plate.

I was truly glad to have saved Sara Beth’s till the last day of the trip, it’s true what they say… we had saved the best till last. Having had true American pancakes washed down with the most delicious Bellini, we toasted to the best trip, to friendship and to us continuing to see the world and all its beauty.

A CYCLE ROUND CENTRAL PARK

After the most amazing pancakes we headed to the nearest bike store to hire a bike to burn off not just the calories from breakfast, but from the full trip in general. Included with our New York Explorer Pass was full day bike rental, so what better way to spend our last day than taking in the city but also getting even more exercise (as if 20,000+ steps a day wasn’t enough). It was clear I’d be going on that flight later on in the evening with helmet hair and stiff calfs but it was worth it as we were going back to Central Park to cycle around the FULL park, ‘go hard or go home‘ that’s what I say. Some people look effortlessly beautiful cycling round Central Park like they’re featured in The Devil Wears Prada but me? That was not happening, safety comes first. With my helmet tightly strapped on, backpack on my back (funnily enough) I was ready to go. I hadn’t rode a bike in years but within seconds I was zooming round this partially snow covered park breathing all of the New York air my lungs could physically take in. I felt so care free on that bike, totally oblivious to the fact I’d be back at work in less than 48 hours and back to regular life.

Our first visit to Central Park on Day 3 had us seeing not even half of the park due to its immense size, so seeing it by bike is truly a must if you want to see even more of it without walking as that would take far too long. We managed to cycle around the full park in just over an hour, taking regular breaks to snap some pictures, get a well deserved drink from one of the many pretzel carts, and to stop and push our bikes up some of the more hilly parts of the park. I could only wish I had a park like this on my doorstep as I know for a fact I would hardly ever be out of it, taking regular walks in the sunshine, it’d maybe even encourage me to take up jogging. Central Park is just one of those places that would never get boring, no matter the season, so if you’re planning a trip to New York then one visit to Central Park just won’t be enough.

CHICK’N CONE

If you’ve been following my New York posts you can probably guess where we went for lunch…..Turnstyle Underground Market, again! You’ll be glad to hear we tried out yet another food place this time, so I guess that makes it okay that we continued to return to this market throughout the trip. I don’t know what it was about this day, maybe they sensed I was leaving and that I needed comfort food, but every place was offering samples. Of course Holly can never say no to free food so I tried whatever I was offered which resulted in my decision to order from Chick’nCone as the sample had me wanting more.

I went for the Kick’n Ranch chicken waffle cone, which was basically heaven in a cone. I had never tried anything like this in terms of the chicken and waffle cone combination, but it was surprisingly delicious and the combination was just right. The UK is truly missing out on places like this, can the New York food scene send them over some tips please?

MILK BAR

After saying goodbye to what became almost like a second home during the trip, Turnstyle Underground Market, we had one final wander around the streets of New York stocking up on American Candy such as Swedish Fish and Pop Tarts to take home, and got our last daily fix of Snapple from the local street vendors. Tip: Buying candy and snacks can be a lot cheaper from the street vendors than local stores and is all part of the New York experience. It was a strange feeling, I had gotten so used to these streets in so little time and was all of a sudden now being whisked back to reality, not knowing when I would return and experience it all over again.

On the walk back to our hotel to collect our luggage, we spotted a local Milk Bar and decided to get in on the hype and try it out for ourselves. We both got the cereal milk soft serve with a topping of fruit crunch. I must say this was unusual and not the kind of ice-cream I’m used to but it’s because of the cereal milk aspect, it was still delicious but really rich so I just couldn’t finish it all, my stomach couldn’t physically take any more food regardless of the fact this was dessert and I usually can’t say no to dessert. This is still good to visit if you are passing by, they apparently do amazing desserts such as the Milk Bar Pie.

New York had brought a true case of wanderlust out in me. I wanted more time there and I wanted more of the world. That was my first ever long haul trip with a friend and considering my fear of flying I was proud I had done it and simply proud of that fact I had conquered such a big city, and had not just conquered it but conquered it so well. I was proud of the itinerary and preparation I put into it, I was proud of the fact I got an opportunity in NEW YORK of all cities one evening because of my blog and my Instagram, seriously?! It was a real pinch me moment. I feel very bittersweet that this blog series has now officially come to an end this evening, in a way typing up these posts on my return made me feel like I was still in my little NYC bubble and now I’m finally getting closure on that, which is strange. I truly hope you enjoyed the posts and when reading them I hope you felt that you were on the trip with me. A trip of a lifetime like this has only inspired me to continue my adventures and to ensure I live the travel life that I set out for myself. Here’s to the next adventure.

Get sharing

87 Comments

March 27, 2020 / 2:56 pm

It was all very delicious!

1. March 26, 2020 / 8:30 pm

Yum!! All these places look so tasty! Especially those pancakes!

March 27, 2020 / 2:57 pm

They were the best pancakes ever!

2. March 26, 2020 / 9:33 pm

Those pancakes look light and fluffy and creamy and fruit is the perfect accompaniment!
    I had a gyro once that reminds me of that chicken on a cone. Sauce on any fried meat makes it the best. I love your ending ice cream in colorful sprinkles!

Your upbeat attitude about the next adventure reminds me of myself. I get all sad when the trip ends but excited for what is ahead! Fingers crossed your next trip is as fulfilling as this one. 🙂

March 27, 2020 / 3:02 pm

They were so light, fluffy, delicious, just absolutely everything I could have wanted for my last breakfast in New York! Oh I’ve never tried a gyro, I’ll have to one day though.
      Yes, it’s always sad leaving an amazing city/place after a great trip but you have to be positive and thankful for the unforgettable memories! Thanks for reading.

Holly

3. March 27, 2020 / 4:17 am

New York is my dream holiday! When I can finally afford to go I will defo come back to this post for fab recommendations 🙂 x

March 27, 2020 / 3:03 pm

Awww thank you so much – that means a lot! I’m excited for you to experience it one day!

4. March 27, 2020 / 9:56 am

This post made me reminisce about my trips to New York. Brunch over there is amazing with huge pancakes and maple syrup. I love walking through Central Park too and admiring the horse and carriage rides and just absorbing the atmosphere within the nearby shopping streets!

March 27, 2020 / 3:10 pm

Awww I’m glad you were able to reminisce! Yes, Central Park is great for just wandering and observing and people watching. It’s just amazing.

5. March 27, 2020 / 10:07 am

Those pancakes look yummy! I might have to make one now, haha.
    New York has always been on my list of places to go, I feel after reading this it’s given me that motivation kick and say let’s get it done. A thoroughly enjoyed reading this post 😁

March 27, 2020 / 3:13 pm

Send some my way please if you do! Awww I’m glad, it’s a place everyone should tick off their bucketlist, so so good! Thanks for reading.

6. March 27, 2020 / 12:41 pm

This sounds like an amazing trip I love NYC I live right next door in NJ. The food looks delicious so I’ll be definitely taking note of the places you visited. I’m a foodie so the pancakes, chicken, ice cream all right up my alley. I’ll try to read the others later and live through your trip. Have a great weekend! Make sure you get back to NYC again.

March 27, 2020 / 3:15 pm

I’m so jealous that you live so close to NYC! Can we swap lives? New York is literally the place to be if you’re a goodie. Thank you so much for reading them – it’s much appreciated. I’ll be back hopefully next year or the year after. Take care!

7. March 27, 2020 / 1:24 pm

I wanted to try Milk Bar! I live fairly close to NYC and still haven’t tried the one in the city yet. It looks delicious! I’ll have to try that hopefully once this all ends soon. Thank you for sharing! <3

March 27, 2020 / 3:18 pm

So jealous that you live close enough to visit! Yes once everything has calmed down you should definitely give it a visit!

8. Anonymous
    March 27, 2020 / 5:19 pm

Those pancakes looks fab!!

March 27, 2020 / 5:21 pm

They were delicious!

March 28, 2020 / 11:38 pm

Awwww I’m glad I could do that, thanks so much for reading!

9. March 27, 2020 / 6:44 pm

The last day is my least favorite day because there is so much pressure to wrap everything up. Ooooh you can’t go wrong with some mimosas! I love the pancakes – they’re super cute! The chicken waffle looks pretty cool! I never had it before – someday! Glad you had an amazing time in New York! Hope you’ll find other cool places to visit in the US!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

March 28, 2020 / 11:37 pm

UGH TELL ME ABOUT IT! The last day is the worst, you feel like you’re watching the clock and part of you just wants to get it over and done with and skip all the travelling home, as that’s my least favourite part – it totally drags out! Thank you so much for reading, I definitely want to venture to more places in the US at some point.

10. March 27, 2020 / 8:26 pm

Everything looks so delicious. I never order pancakes out and even those looked amazing! Thanks for sharing and it looks like you had an incredible trip.

March 28, 2020 / 11:36 pm

I never order pancakes if I’m out for breakfast either but I’m glad on that occasion that I did – they did not disappoint! Thanks for reading.

11. March 27, 2020 / 8:48 pm

Loved reading this. I spent my 40th at Madison Square Garden with Billy Joel (and thousands of other people 😂) Reading this has made me desperate to go back 💜

March 28, 2020 / 11:36 pm

Oh wow that sounds like a memorable birthday! I’d love to attend a concert at Madison Square Garden, I can imagine it being a crazy atmosphere!!

12. March 27, 2020 / 11:35 pm

Those pancakes look insane! I’m glad you had a great trip, it really is a city that leaves a mark on you when you leave. Your day sounds like a lovely relaxed way to spend you last day x

Sophie

March 28, 2020 / 11:35 pm

They were so delicious!! You’re so right, it leaves a mark on you that I feel will disappear. I don’t think any trip will compare to my first time in New York! Thanks for reading.

13. March 28, 2020 / 11:40 am

I honestly nearly cried reading your blog because it made me truly missed NYC. It’s also refreshing to read a New York blog where you visited completely different places to where I’ve been myself!! It gives me all those feels back.

Thank you and happy Saturday love!

Quinn x

March 28, 2020 / 11:23 pm

Seriously?! I feel the same whenever I even think about the trip. I’m glad I could let you experience all the feels. Have a great weekend, and stay safe!

14. March 28, 2020 / 11:50 am

I love this post and all of the lovely pictures you too! New York has always been on my bucket list of places to go, and after reading tour post, it’s made me want to go more than ever now!

Catherine x

March 28, 2020 / 11:23 pm

Thank you so much! I hope you get to go one day, I’m sure you would absolutely love it!

15. March 28, 2020 / 12:24 pm

This all looks amazing. NY is in my bucket list, though I wanna go in December and take in the christmas feel. And pancakes is totally in the list 😍

March 28, 2020 / 11:22 pm

Yes! Going in the Winter is honestly so so magical, especially if it snows!

• April 1, 2020 / 9:03 am

Yes, and I love snow. My boyfriend comes from a very cold and snowy place and doesn’t really agree with me, as he wanna go on vacation when it’s hot and summery. but he’s promised me New york in december

16. March 28, 2020 / 12:43 pm

Your trip sounds amazing! The food looks even more delicious! I’ve only traveled to Niagra Falls and haven’t experienced food like that. Thanks for sharing!

March 28, 2020 / 11:20 pm

Awww thanks so much for reading! I would LOVE to go to Niagara Falls one day!

March 28, 2020 / 11:22 pm

Also, what is your blog link so I can check it out?

17. March 28, 2020 / 12:52 pm

Everything just looks so good! I’m so jealous haha

March 28, 2020 / 11:19 pm

It makes me hungry just thinking about the food!

18. March 28, 2020 / 1:15 pm

Yes, milkbar is amazing!!! Everything christina tosi does there is incredible!

March 28, 2020 / 11:19 pm

It was so different but really good to try!

19. Mike
    March 28, 2020 / 2:49 pm

Looks like a really fun time. I hope you stayed a safe distance from everyone.

March 28, 2020 / 2:50 pm

It was great thanks! It was back in January so no one really knew about it back then!

March 28, 2020 / 2:54 pm

It won’t let me comment on your blog – it said access denied when I tried to comment on your most recent post?

20. March 28, 2020 / 4:26 pm

I am in NJ and get to NY often. I am glad you got to have such a great time in the city!

March 28, 2020 / 7:22 pm

Oh wow you’re super lucky!! I wish I lived close to visit often. Take care.

21. March 28, 2020 / 4:30 pm

I adore fluffy pancakes so much! Especially with some crispy bacon and drowned in maple syrup. You definitely ended your time in New York in style x

March 28, 2020 / 7:20 pm

Ugh me too, pancakes are something I don’t eat that much but I’ve been enjoying them a lot lately since I got back! Thanks for reading!

22. March 28, 2020 / 4:55 pm

Those pancakes look delicious! I’ve always wanted to visit New York – I was so close to going last year but unfortunately something came up and I was no longer able to go, I hope I’ll be able to go sometime in the future!

March 28, 2020 / 7:18 pm

They were so good!! Hopefully you get to go in the future. Thanks for reading.

23. March 28, 2020 / 4:59 pm

Hnmmm the pancakes looks yummy. Reminds me of the pancakes I had back in Houston. New York is such a beautiful city that I would love to visit

March 28, 2020 / 7:16 pm

Ugh they were so good, I wouldn’t mind some right now. You have to visit one day!

March 28, 2020 / 7:14 pm

Thanks lovely!

Holly

24. March 28, 2020 / 6:20 pm

What a beautiful last day, good food and beautiful cycle around Central Park! You really have had a trip of a lifetime!

March 28, 2020 / 7:14 pm

It was a truly wonderful last day! I’ll never ever forget that trip!

25. Daisy
    March 28, 2020 / 7:07 pm

Aww! I’ll miss your New York posts! I guess you’ll have to go back at some point! Haha! Those pancakes look incredible and that icecream sounds pretty gross. I guess it’s because I don’t drink milk anymore! xD

Daisy xoxo | TheDeeWhoLived

March 28, 2020 / 7:11 pm

Awwwww that is a lovely comment – thank you from the bottom of my heart for following them! I definitely want to go back in the next couple of years for sure. The ice-cream was strange, I’m not a milk drinker so I think that was why it tasted very different haha.

26. March 29, 2020 / 11:12 am

I found your blog at just the right time – my husband and I are hoping to go to New York next year for our anniversary, you’ve given me some great inspiration.

March 29, 2020 / 8:32 pm

I’m so glad you found it!! That is so exciting and something to look forward to in all this madness. You can check out my other posts for more ideas if you’d like. Thanks for reading!

27. katelyn | embark to explore
    March 29, 2020 / 6:08 pm

Wow this has made me so damn hungry lmao – Yes i clicked mainly bc of the pancakes but then everything else looked amazing! I was suppose to be in NYC in Feb, honestly looks like you had an amazing time! Hope you’re staying safe girl x

March 29, 2020 / 8:27 pm

Me too when I think about all the food I had in America haha! Hopefully you get to go sometime soon, sorry you didn’t get to go in February! Take care girl!

March 29, 2020 / 8:23 pm

They were absolutely delicious!! If you go, please sneak me back with you!

28. March 29, 2020 / 7:28 pm

Looks so yummy to eat:)

March 29, 2020 / 8:21 pm

Was delicious!

Holly

29. March 29, 2020 / 8:58 pm

Love this post! I have always wanted to go to NYC, want to plan a trip when all this mayhem is over! Can’t wait to see your next posts! x

April 2, 2020 / 7:51 pm

You definitely should plan one when things have calmed down and we are allowed to travel freely!! Thanks for reading!

30. March 29, 2020 / 9:15 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed my neck of the woods!

April 2, 2020 / 7:51 pm

Best trip of my life!

Holly

31. March 29, 2020 / 10:07 pm

What a great last day! That breakfast looks so yummy! 🙂 I’ve never been to New York but would love to one day, it’s so good you got to enjoy it before all the travel restrictions!

Hope that you had a great weekend! 🙂 We had a quiet one at home of course!

April 2, 2020 / 7:54 pm

It was the best breakfast honestly!! I know, my best friend and I were literally saying that recently, we’re so grateful we got to go and enjoy it to the max!!

Have a lovely weekend when it comes! Thanks for reading.

32. March 30, 2020 / 7:37 am

Great pics and amazing content. I want to go!

April 2, 2020 / 7:55 pm

Thanks lovely!

Holly

April 2, 2020 / 8:09 pm

Thank you so much – it’s the best place ever!

Holly

April 2, 2020 / 8:10 pm

Awwww thank you – I’ve been re-reading them and doing the same!! You’ll get to go one day for sure!

33. March 30, 2020 / 6:13 pm

I cant believe I never heard of the Turnstyle Underground Market! It sounds so good

April 2, 2020 / 8:15 pm

You need to visit it if you ever go!!

34. March 30, 2020 / 7:25 pm

Great post! This sounds like SUCH a fun and wonderful day. I love all the photos of the food, and want to try each of them. I hope to someday make it to NYC. Thanks for sharing!

April 2, 2020 / 8:20 pm

You will definitely get to make it to NYC one day and indulge in all of the amazing food you want to! Thanks for reading.

35. April 1, 2020 / 8:24 pm