New York: Day 6

New York: Day 6

Waking up on our second last day of being in the most incredible city in the world (in my opinion) was bitter sweet. I wanted this day to last as long as it possibly could. The ‘New York glow‘ really is a thing and I didn’t want it to fade as soon as I touched down in the UK early Monday morning.

After moving all of our Saturday plans to the previous day due to the weather forecast, it seemed as though the prediction of snow might actually be true and that one of my ultimate dreams may come true….seeing New York covered in snow. Only time would tell.

LUNCH BOX

One thing you MUST try when you’re in New York is a bagel, seriously, do not leave the city without trying one or else you will end up regretting your poor decision making. After realising we still hadn’t tried one during the trip I took a couple of minutes out of my morning routine to find a local place nearby that sold bagels. There are many well known places that are famous for their bagels in New York such as Tompkins Square Bagels, but I opted for a smaller and more local shop. Just around the corner from our hotel was a place called Lunch Box, a tiny little eatery with around 4 seats. With a tea or coffee costing less than 2 dollars, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the prices on the menu, especially given what we had been paying the last few days for food. All in my breakfast was around 10 dollars or less, and yes sometimes cheap doesn’t always mean good but in this case it was seriously amazing.

I ordered the sausage, egg and cheese breakfast bagel and it was genuinely the best thing in the world, so much so that I ended up eating bagels for almost a week straight when I got home, even though they didn’t compare in the slightest to this one. A bagel really is true New York style and I tucked in to it quite happily watching yellow cab after yellow cab pass by. With very few seats and many locals popping in for a bagel and hot drink to start off their morning, I’d say this place was more for takeaways, but we sat and savoured every bite of that bagel reluctant to head out and face the cold. I can only wish we had discovered Lunch Box earlier on in the trip as I would have gladly ate here every morning. You can never say no to amazing food at even better prices.

9/11 MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM

After the bagel of all bagels, we headed to what would be a very emotional stop on the itinerary, the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Throughout the museum photography is permitted in certain areas but not in specific exhibitions, which is understandable given that some of the items that are displayed here can be very distressing or graphic. I took some pictures of the more positive aspects that came out of a tragic situation like this, such as quotes or what people created in memory of those who were affected by this event, however I won’t be sharing these as I don’t feel they should be posted so publicly, and this museum is something that should be experienced in person.

The only words I have to describe the museum is touching, emotional, empowering. I couldn’t and still can’t quite get to grips with how a city as big and as busy as this one (or any other cities or countries affected by such horrific acts) can carry on with daily life as normal. It takes a great deal of courage to do that, and although there’s many parts throughout the museum that will reduce you to tears or leave you with a massive lump in the back of your throat, you can’t help but come out feeling empowered in the sense that us humans should stick together, look out for everyone and just do good in the world. Positivity is everything.

It’s true that a lot can happen in a whole two hours, particularly with the weather…this can drastically change. When we exited the museum after spending just over two hours inside the city was completely white and the snow was coming down hard. Given that we had just seen and heard many distressing moments, this museum can be emotionally draining to say the least, so to come out and see New York’s take on winter wonderland was somewhat uplifting.

ST. PAUL’S CHAPEL

After taking several pictures in the snow (way more than that actually) and facetiming basically everyone back home in the UK because I was just so overjoyed to see this city in the snow, we took a short walk to see St. Paul’s Chapel.

Fact: St. Pauls’ Chapel, nicknamed ‘The Little Chapel That Stood’ was given such a nickname because it is one of the oldest surviving churches in Manhattan. Also, given its close proximity to the World Trade Center, it survived the September 11 attacks without even a broken window and became almost a second home to recovery workers afterwards.

Although a very quick visit, I couldn’t believe something this old was still standing, and standing with pride in such a busy Manhattan street. This is definitely worth a visit if you are already in the area for the World Trade Center or the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.

WASABI

To escape from the cold we decided it was time for a spot of lunch and ended up at Wasabi Sushi and Bento. Again, attempting to try as many different foods as possible we fancied some Japanese and so this was the place for some quick and delicious Japanese food.

We shared a box of mixed Gyoza between us after the delicious dumplings from Mimi Cheng’s the day before, and I got the Chicken Katsu Curry whilst Sangeeta went for the Teriyaki Salmon. This was another place we ventured to that didn’t disappoint and is worth visiting if you want something quick and tasty.

On route back to our hotel we decided to stop in at Sephora as this is one place I always visit during any trip to stock up on products, purely due to the fact Sephora doesn’t exist in Scotland. I’m a massive fan of their face masks and exfoliating wipes, but my new found loves that I now highly recommend are their face mask applicators and their lavender foot masks. I didn’t even know foot masks were a thing but I can now confirm that they definitely ARE a thing. These are an ideal travel essential for when you’re on a city break or for when you have returned from one, they are SO relaxing with the lavender fragrance and the best product for giving your feet a good break when you have been constantly on the go.

CHAMPION PIZZA

As if lunch an hour or two before wasn’t enough, it was time for more food. America certainly changed me and my appetite, I’m not sure whether for the better though.

Our usual evening routine so far would usually consist of going back to the hotel room to get ready and then heading back out for some dinner, but given it was the last night and the snow was still coming down hard, we decided we would get ready leisurely in the room and have a pizza party.

Seeing as our stop on the train was Columbus Circle it was only right that we took another trip to Turnstyle Underground Market to try out another one of their eateries – if you have been following my New York posts then you’ll realise that we had almost worked our way round this street food market. Champion Pizza was up next and New York pizza just kept getting better. This place obviously is the champion when it comes to pizza as plastered all over the walls were pictures of celebrities that have also tried a slice of heaven.

Behind the glass counter was every kind of pizza possible, vodka margarita anyone? Given the size of a slice in America and the fact I had not long ate, I only went for two slices of pizza Mac and Cheese and Buffalo Chicken (I completely regretted getting two slices after I tried this pizza). I picked up the pace walking back to the hotel, desperate to get into the warm hotel room, if the pizza tasted as good as it smelt then I was in for a treat. Whilst I tucked in to my pizza Sangeeta actually went for a massage at a local beauty salon so it was a pizza party for one. I’ve always been curious about macaroni cheese on a pizza, more so because I love both, but what would it be like when you put the two best things together? INCREDIBLE. I wish mac and cheese pizza was more of a thing and on offer everywhere as it would probably be my new go to pizza order. As for the buffalo chicken, this was just as nice – I’d say I have good taste when it comes to pizza and I definitely made the right choices on this occasion.

MAGIC HOUR – MOXY TIMES SQUARE

Seeing as it was our last proper night in the city, this required some celebratory cocktails as we had well and truly conquered New York and had grew even closer as friends (I didn’t know that was even possible due to how close we were in the first place but it was). Being a tourist during the day is fantastic but living like a local in the evening is even better so we headed to Magic Hour Rooftop Bar and Lounge at the Moxy Times Square. If you like pink then this is the place for you as when we visited, Magic Hour had a pink fairground theme running, with plenty of fairy lights and a rotating platform almost resembling a carousel that you could lounge on with a cocktail.

We got straight to ordering one of the limited edition 22oz Snow Globe cocktails in a snow globe shaped glass in hope that the alcohol would soon heat us up. Again, this is something that I’ll be featuring in a later post so I won’t delve too deep. All I will say is that if you like pretty flower walls, pink décor, fun cocktails and tasty bar bites then this is the place to go with some breath-taking views of the city.

With the trip very quickly coming to an end, find out what we got up to on our very last day in the big apple, from bellinis at breakfast and another visit to Central Park, followed by my last yellow cab in a long time. The last of the New York Travel Series will be up next week!

Get sharing

60 Comments

1. March 19, 2020 / 7:06 pm

That mac and cheese pizza looks like the BEST PIZZA EVER

March 20, 2020 / 9:05 pm

It genuinely was, I took about 5 selfies with it haha!

2. March 19, 2020 / 8:03 pm

New York seems like the most gorgeous, stunning and magical place ever. I can’t wait to finally visit it one day <3

March 20, 2020 / 9:04 pm

It’s honestly so so so good! I can’t wait for you to visit one day!

3. March 19, 2020 / 8:19 pm

Ooh, bagel! I cannot remember the last time I ate a bagel, but I want one now, stuffed with egg and cold ham.
    I have never seen such an appetizing and diverse range of pizzas, and I love your pink earmuffs. 🙂
    Bittersweet is a good word to describe suddenly realizing the end is near.

March 20, 2020 / 9:02 pm

New York was the first time I’ve properly tried a bagel and oh my goodness, no bagel will ever compare now!!!
      Awww thank you – thanks for always commenting on my post!

Holly

4. nortoncharity
    March 19, 2020 / 11:28 pm

I’ve been to Saint Paul’s Chapel before and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum! Definitely worth visiting when in NYC for sure. And your bagel looks incredible!

• March 20, 2020 / 12:03 am

I am absolutely loving this New York series! You’ve packed so much into each day it’s incredible. Tons of great tips for the next visit to the Big Apple! Thanks,

March 20, 2020 / 8:53 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying it – thank you!

Holly

March 20, 2020 / 8:54 pm

I agree – definitely worth visiting! The bagel was incredible, honestly!

5. March 20, 2020 / 12:21 pm

I’ve really enjoyed reading your New York posts, it looks like you had a fantastic time and did so much! I gotta say, the food out there looks sooo good! Bagels, mac and cheese pizza…. this makes me superrr hungry! It’s amazing you got to experience New York covered in snow too, that has always seemed so magical to me. Thanks for sharing your adventures and brilliant photos! <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

March 20, 2020 / 8:53 pm

Awww thank you so much!!! The final one goes up next week and I can’t quite believe it! I was pretty much a zombie for weeks after I got back. I do love my food so this was just the place for me! Thanks again for reading.

6. March 20, 2020 / 12:37 pm

All these days have been great -thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

March 20, 2020 / 8:49 pm

Thanks so much for following them – it means a lot!

7. March 20, 2020 / 4:57 pm

I loved reading about your day in NYC. I live about an hour and a half from there but I don’t visit very often. I guess it’s one of those things where you take for granted the things in your own back yard. I plan to explore more of it this summer. Thank you for sharing your experience. I think the Moxy looks like a great time! Can’t wait to read the post about it.

March 20, 2020 / 8:49 pm

Thank you so much for following these posts! So true, I’m the same with where I live also. At least you have some ideas now for the Summer.

March 20, 2020 / 8:45 pm

Thank you!

Holly

8. March 21, 2020 / 1:56 am

Oooh! I haven’t heard of the New York Glow before but it sounds pretty neat. OK I need to take a trip out to NYC When the pandemic dies down. YUMMM! The bagel looks super delicious. You can’t go wrong with the SEC combo. The food from Wasabi looks delicious! And wow!~! the pizzas are HUGE!! Oooh! Love that you got to check out Magic Hour for some cocktails. That is my vibe LOL. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

March 22, 2020 / 10:13 am

The New York glow definitely exists, I just felt so content and glowy the full trip! Please do, it’s the most incredible city ever. Yes Magic Hour is my vibe too, especially that theme!! Thanks for reading.

9. justthegameoflife
    March 21, 2020 / 3:48 am

I have never been to New York before. It is on my list of places to visit though. Whenever I do visit I will keep your post in mind!

March 22, 2020 / 10:15 am

Thank you for reading!! You definitely have to go at some point. The last post of the series goes live this week so be sure to check that out.

10. Melissa Kacar
    March 21, 2020 / 5:29 am

NYC is such an incredible city, I loved reading about your experience! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

melissakacar.blogspot.com

March 22, 2020 / 10:17 am

Awww thank you!! There’s 5 other posts in the series posted and the final one goes up this week!

11. March 21, 2020 / 10:55 am

Wow, this sounds like a fantastic trip! I’m so glad you got to try authentic New York pizza!

March 28, 2020 / 11:41 pm

Oh the pizza was unforgettable!!

12. March 21, 2020 / 12:47 pm

Pizza and bagels covered in one post? You’ve got me, and the snow as well! What an amazing experience! The 9/11 memorial is something that really I interested me, I’ve always wanted to visit, thank you for sharing this great series of posts of your trip!

March 22, 2020 / 10:21 am

I’m glad it caught your attention! It was another great day in the city – thanks for reading!

13. Kayleigh Zara
    March 21, 2020 / 2:32 pm

Oh my gosh that bagel looks bloody amazing! I would have opted for egg and cheese I think and I can’t believe how cheap it was. Thankyou for sharing your adventure x

March 22, 2020 / 10:22 am

It was soooooooo delicious! Thanks for reading.

March 23, 2020 / 10:43 pm

It really is!

March 23, 2020 / 10:43 pm

Ugh it was one of the best slices of pizza I’ve ever had!

14. March 22, 2020 / 1:38 pm

Wonderful photos,I hope you had the most lovely time!
    Would love to venture into the concrete jungle one day!
    So far only been to NY trough movies 🙂

Nathalie

March 23, 2020 / 10:46 pm

Thank you – it was a trip I’ll forever be grateful for! I was the exact same until this year, hopefully you get to go one day!

15. March 22, 2020 / 1:40 pm

Ohhhh such lovely pictures! <3 I hope you had a great time!

March 23, 2020 / 10:48 pm

Thanks lovely!

16. March 22, 2020 / 4:32 pm

New York covered in snow is really something else. We went for New Year one year and they’d just had blizzards over Christmas with lots of grounded flights. The fact we even got there seemed like a miracle but to see it covered in snow too was idyllic. I can fully relate to that bittersweet this is almost over feeling too! Glad you had an amazing time x

Sophie

March 23, 2020 / 10:52 pm

It’s crazy what a bit of snow can do but you’re so right, it really is something else! That’s so lucky you still managed to get there – I don’t think I would have liked a flight during a blizzard/snowstorm. Thanks for reading lovely.

17. makeupmuddle
    March 22, 2020 / 8:22 pm

Oh wow the food looks incredible, and how amazing do you look in that jumpsuit! I love the sparkle, it’s so pretty xo

Makeup Muddle

March 23, 2020 / 10:52 pm

Awwww thank you SO much, you’re too kind!!!

March 28, 2020 / 11:42 pm

Thank you so much for reading! I had the best time ever. Take care also, it’s crazy out there in the world right now.

18. adamjnew85
    March 24, 2020 / 12:54 pm

Vodka & Margarita pizza?! I’m not sure about that! The Mac n cheese was definitely the wise choice 😃

March 27, 2020 / 2:42 pm

Yes I definitely think I made the right choice!

Holly

19. March 24, 2020 / 1:14 pm

Great uplifting post! I miss my hometown! It was also a nice virtual field trip! Thank you for sharing!

20. March 24, 2020 / 1:32 pm

Im with you. Nyc is my favorite American city (dublin being my number 1) and i cried coming home. As a theatre doing city girl i crave that busyness. I feel it in my bones!
    I hate snow but im glad it made someone happy!!

I wrote a few different posts about nyc on my blog. Have a look if you miss it!!

March 27, 2020 / 2:46 pm

I haven’t been to Dublin yet, but hopefully someday soon I will get to visit! I just thrived off of the busyness! Thanks for reading – I’ll be sure to check them out!

21. March 24, 2020 / 6:40 pm

I’ve adored all of your New York posts! They’ve been so fun and had great ideas for when I ever visit! I can imagine that the 9/11 museum was harrowing! I remember watching it live on TV and seeing the second tower being hit! It was just so confusing and terrifying. I’d probably have to visit New York in the summer because I can’t deal with snow! xD

Daisy xoxo | TheDeeWhoLived

March 27, 2020 / 2:49 pm

Awwww thank you so much! I appreciate you following them! It was so so emotional, and when you visit the museum you really can’t believe it actually happened! I would LOVE to visit New York in the Summer, I feel like it would be a completely different city!

22. March 25, 2020 / 12:45 am

I love the in-depth information about New York and those beautiful photographs!! Be my travel guide, for real! Haha amazing blog post x

xoxo Olivia | http://www.oliviaandbeauty.com/

March 27, 2020 / 2:51 pm

Awww thank you!!! I’d be more than happy to be your travel guide, I love planning trips and creating itineraries.

March 27, 2020 / 2:53 pm

It was great – thank you!

Holly

23. March 30, 2020 / 4:56 pm

Bagels, $1 pizza and donuts when is NYC is literally the way i live. When I visited last I had the greatest bagel I’ve ever tasted from a Jewish bakery. It was brisket, pickles and mustard on a sesame seed bagel and my life it was the tastiest thing I’d ever eaten! I made sure to take down the name so when we return again I can revisit haha.

April 2, 2020 / 8:06 pm

Well I want to live like you!!! Oh what was the name of it? I’ll have to save it incase I ever return.

• April 2, 2020 / 9:40 pm

Haha! It’s the best way to eat for me, I rarely do restaurants in New York 🤣. Oh it was called Orwashers Bakery and for my donuts I visited the Donut Bar in Greenwich village, it’s also opposite a fantastic vintage store called Screaming Mimis! 🧡

Quinn x

April 3, 2020 / 1:03 am

Ugh I’m so annoyed I didn’t know about the Donut Bar, I could have stopped in here when I was in Greenwich Village! I suppose there is always next time.