With the thought of turning 23 this year comes expectation about moving out and getting your own place, and with adult life comes the fascination with all these technological gadgets and kitchen appliances that you once wouldn’t give a second look at. Now when I’m out shopping I spot items and in my head I’m saying “I’d love that for my own house one day” and “Oh wouldn’t that be great?!“, secretly I’m adding them all to my wish list. Something that has caught my eye and is new for 2018 is the Slimline Combination Microwave Oven which Panasonic have just unveiled, a product that comes with a host of features allowing you to steam, grill, bake and microwave food, BUT without taking away any of your foods goodness. This new microwave oven is something that’ll now be added to my future home wish list as it’s not only pleasing to the eye but it has a compact exterior, whilst accommodating for family size cooking on the inside. It ALSO has a pre-programmed Junior Menu enabling you to simply key in the food’s weight and then sit back and relax, as this microwave oven does all the rest for you. This pre-programmed menu includes easy auto options, allowing your cooking time to reduce but still allowing you to provide your family with healthy meals.
Whether its melting a bar of Dairy Milk (we all have those days when we long for nothing more than a bowl of melted chocolate) or cooking some carrots, the microwave is a very valuable kitchen appliance which saves you time in the kitchen, and for those coming in from work and just wanting their dinner on a plate as soon as possible, it is our one go to product that can make all these very things possible. Despite the stories I’ve heard about microwaves over the years, they actually harvest many benefits, of which I could ramble on about, but I’ll mention a couple:
1. We all know that microwaves can be the creator of some amazing dishes, in VERY little time.
2. A study by researchers at Harvard University found you can actually retain more micronutrients in food through using a microwave, in comparison to any other method of cooking.
3. As briefly mentioned in point 1, it’s all about quick cooking on nights when you’re too tired to keep an eye on the oven, and when you’re wanting your grub serves up speedy.
Below are 2 easy and extremely tasty microwave oven recipes that I found and thought I’d share with my lovely readers.
Butternut Squash Risotto
You’ll need the following ingredients: 250 grams of risotto rice, 700ml hot vegetable stock, 1 butternut squash (medium), parmesan, sage
1. Empty the content of the rice into a large bowl, along with 500ml of the hot vegetable stock. Cover the bowl with cling film and microwave for 5 minutes (on high power).
2. Whilst that’s taking place, peel your medium butternut squash and cut it into pieces.
3. Once the rice has been in the microwave for 5 minutes, add your pieces of butternut squash along with the rest of the hot vegetable stock (200ml). Microwave for a further 15 minutes, and make sure to stir halfway through.
4. Check that the stock has been absorbed and the rice and squash aren’t tough (basically make sure they’re both edible). Once you’ve left it to stand for a couple of minutes, add in your parmesan and sage. As a finishing touch you can add some grated cheese or extra parmesan.
You’ll need the following ingredients: 2 eggs, spinach (obviously), 2% milk, and some salt and pepper to give it some flavour.
1. Lightly beat 2 eggs, 2 table spoons of milk and some salt and pepper in a bowl
2. Pour the mixture into either a high-sided plate or a little omelette dish (I live by my microwaveable foldable omelette dish).
3. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, and after the 2 minutes place some spinach on both sides of the omelette.
4. Place back in the microwave for a further 1 and a half minutes (or until eggs are set).
I hope you have some fun trying out the above recipes, let me know if you end up making them! Again, these are some quick dinners you can make in the likes of the Panasonic Combination Microwave Oven (the link is within the first paragraph but for those of you who are curious to find out more about this essential kitchen appliance that is coming VERY soon, click here).